Parenthood is challenging. Just when I think I’ve got one behavior under control, something changes. From the awe of pregnancy to this very day, I am learning so much about myself by being a mother.
- I am in not in control here. There’s something much larger at work. I have to change expectations and plans multiple times a day. When I was pregnant, I was amazed that my body knew exactly what to do. I was just along for the ride.
- My intuition is usually right, only I never listened to it before. I definitely tested it in the early days of motherhood. My intuition told me not to go back to work, but I did; it told me no to daycare for my daughter, but I sent her. I finally learned that I know this little girl better than anyone else in the world and I need to know myself just as well.
- I can put up with a heck of a lot more than I ever thought I could. I am a well of patience for this child only.
- I feel connected to other parents because they know the highs and lows too.
- My heart is so very vulnerable. I treasure her so much.
- I strive to be a better person even more now than ever before. Since my daughter repeats every little thing I say, every movement, every action, I must be a very good role model. I want to demonstrate kindness, patience, learning, and generosity.
- I appreciate the value of time. Since I lost almost all time for myself for a couple of years, I celebrate even just an hour of reading a favorite magazine at the end of a long day.
- I am this girl’s champion. I never wanted to draw attention to myself if I needed something, but now that this sweet girl is here, hand me the megaphone.